While you spend hours working out in the gym, your muscles go through a great deal of wear and tear. Therefore, it is extremely important for you to fuel them with something healthy which promotes quick recovery. Keep in mind that whatever you eat is going to have a direct impact on the efficiency of your workouts.
A combination of complex carbs and proteins is ideally what you need for recovery post-workouts. Now it is not practically possible for you to carry chicken and brown rice all the time. In such a scenario, post-workout recovery drinks are the more convenient option. And the best part is that they are no less healthy than chicken and brown rice!
In the liquid form, your body is able to digest the protein and carbs much faster. This means that your muscles get the required nutrition quickly. Here, we bring to you 7 powerful drinks which will give your body the ultimate post-workout nutrition it needs.
It is not practically possible for you to carry chicken and brown rice all the time. In such a scenario, post-workout recovery drinks are the more convenient option
Here are 5 healthy drinks which will promote quick and healthy recovery post-workouts.
1. Fruit juice: While working out, your body loses a lot of water and electrolytes through sweat. To make up for that loss, drink 100% fruit juice. Freshly extracted apple juice is recommended in this case; Gatorades can also be taken. This makes up for the fluid loss that your body goes through after workouts. Fruit juice is the perfect glucose replenishment for your body after workouts.
2. Fruit smoothie: Prepare a refreshing fruit smoothie for yourself using some yogurt and fresh berries. The simple sugars in the berries boost glycogen stores in your body and promote quick recovery. It also provides your muscles with quality protein which helps repair the muscles after a long duration of rigorous workouts. Berries are also a rich source of vitamins and antioxidants.
3. Chocolate milk: Chocolate milk is known as the best post-workout recovery drink. This is because of the composition of this drink which is 4:1 of carbs and proteins respectively. This makes the drink perfect for recovery. The electrolytes in this drink are extremely hydrating. Research shows that athletes who drink chocolate milk are twice as likely to retain the fluids as compared to those who drink regular sports drinks. Add one and half teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa to 8 ounces of milk and there's your post-workout recovery drink.
4. Greek yogurt smoothie: The protein content of Greek yogurt is much higher than regular yogurt. Prepare a Greek yogurt smoothie and top it with some granola. This drink is also a good combination of proteins and carbs and can be the perfect post-workout recovery drink for you.
5. Coconut water: Coconut water is rich in magnesium, potassium and antioxidants. The sodium content, on the other hand, is much lower than processed sports drinks. This makes coconut water one of the most hydrating drinks of all time. It restores the electrolyte balance in your body to make up for the loss you go through during your workouts.
Coconut water is rich in magnesium, potassium and antioxidants.