Inspired by Mrs. Mary Clubwala Jadhav, Honorary Secretary, The Guild of Service, a group of ladies got together and started the Coimbatore Chapter in 1947 by enrolling members.
In 1949, a Crèche started functioning on Syrian Church Road, Coimbatore. In the same year, a home for destitute children took off with four children in a rented building named the Seva Samajam Home.
In 1951, a second Crèche at Kempatty Colony came into existence. Smt. G.Chandrakanthi, Secretary, GRG Trust took charge as Honorary Secretary, in the year 1957. Her ennobling efforts yielded fruit with the District Collector Sri.R.C.Joseph sanctioning 1.25 acres of land, donated by Shri. V.C.Subbaiah Gounder of Coimbatore.
A building at the cost of Rs.65,000/- came to be built on the sprawling campus and declared open in 1957 by Dr.S.Radhakrishnan, the former President of India. In order to provide separate accommodation for boys and girls, the Government of Madras volunteered to allot two acres of land on the Mettupalayam Road, in 1961. A fund raising campaign was launched, the building work completed at a cost of Rs.75,000/- in 1963 and the boys shifted to their new premises in 1964.
The Guild has been continuously evolving in the service of the orphaned children in the community, including children of single parents who are unable to care for them. The primary responsibility has been to enroll children aged 5 to 18 years in good schools, mentor, and guide and coach them to complete their board exams up to their diplomas, after which they get placed in responsible positions in life.
The sponsors include Terre Des Homes, Denmark and GRG Trust, Coimbatore. Crèche-II has a grant in aid from Social Welfare Board of Tamil Nadu Government. Both the Crèches and Guild of Service Home are regularly monitored, day-to-day activities are scheduled and organized under the banner of GRG Trust, as part of their corporate social responsibility to the community and society at large. Active members of the Guild of Service include Mrs.Nandini Rangaswamy, Mrs.Srivalli Venkatesh, Dr.N.Yesodha Devi, Mrs.Geetha Mukund and Mrs.Latha.
Guild of Service (Seva Samajam)
65/4, Mettupalayam Road
Coimbatore – 641 030
Tel : 0422 - 2445213